Successful organizations are led by Senior Leadership Teams (SLT) that work together effectively and cohesively. At this level, the pressure to perform is at a unique intensity. Conflicting egos, personal agendas, silos, turf battles, poor communication, and lack of alignment on goals, processes, and priorities have ripple effects that impact the entire organization.
Sound familiar? If so, your senior leadership team is not alone.
Transforming Your Senior Leadership Team is specifically designed to transform senior teams into “real” teams. This session will address real-world issues, such as:
- Driving a common mission, vision, and strategy within the organization
- Establishing thematic goals that drive alignment and break down silos
- Defining organizational culture
- Creating team ground rules that foster cohesion
- Designing a framework for effective Senior Leadership Team meetings that build teamwork and get results
- Improving communication flow within the team and out to the organization
- Creating an environment where constructive candor is welcomed
- Fostering mutual accountability for behaviors and results
Pre-assessment: Senior Leadership Team Survey:
The Senior Leadership Team survey is a web-based assessment that identifies team strengths and opportunities for improvement. The survey provides a compelling framework for discussing the current state of the team and how people treat each other. Sample survey items include:
- Team members seem more concerned about the success of the organization as a whole, rather than just their department.
- Team members speak with one voice and convey consistent messages regarding decisions and policies made by the team.
- Team members examine the impact of actions on other areas of the organization before committing to action.Individuals speak only in positive terms about other team members and departments who are not present or represented.
Senior teams often perceive that team building is “below them” and they don’t want to “play games” when they have serious issues to address. This sessions honors the need of senior teams to get results while acknowledging the power of creating alignment and cohesiveness. The transformational process includes the following steps:
- Determine the type of SLT that the team is and desires to be
- Establish a unique purpose for the team
- Defining the culture through identification of core values
- Identify inter-dependencies
- Create desired team dynamics
- Establish a structure for team meetings
- Create a communication strategy